CoQ10 Supports A Healthy Heart
Coenzyme Q10, more commonly known as CoQ10, is an enzyme found naturally in the body. It is responsible for cell growth and maintenance and also has antioxidant properties.
Coenzyme Q10 Benefits
CoQ10 can benefit many body systems and function.
- Heart problems: Studies have shown that people with low levels of CoQ10 tend to have higher blood pressure. Other studies suggest that taking CoQ10 can help with symptoms associated with heart failure.
- Cancer: Because CoQ10 has antioxidant properties it can help fight harmful free radicals in the body. Breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer and kidney cancer patients were all found to have low CoQ10 blood levels.
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Alzheimer's disease: Research on CoQ10 and Alzheimer's disease is still in its very early stages; however, early studies have suggested that CoQ10 may help slow down dementia in Alzheimer's patients.
- High cholesterol: People who have problems with high cholesterol typically have low levels of CoQ10. Cholesterol-reducing drugs like statins can also reduce natural CoQ10 levels in the body. Statins can also have harsh side effects and CoQ10 can help combat some of those side effects including muscle pain.
- Diabetes: CoQ10 supplements promote optimal heart health and can also help promote healthy blood sugar levels and long-term blood sugar control.
CoQ 10 can also benefit the following:
- Immune function in people who are HIV positive or have AIDS
- Increased sperm motility
- Parkinson's disease
- Exercise ability in people with anginga
- Peridontal Health
- Kidney health
- Energy levels
- Organ meats
- Whole grains
- Giving CoQ10 to children is not commonly recommended.
- In adults 30-200mg is most commonly recommended. Softgels also tend to have better absorption.
CoQ10 can interfere with certain medications so it's best to talk with your primary care provider before you begin taking a CoQ10 supplement.
- Chemotherapy medications
- Daunorubicin and doxorubicin
- Blood pressure medications
- Blood-thinning medications